Randolph was founded in 1959, a time of rapid growth for Huntsville as the city was transplanting its economic roots from cotton production to U.S. missile defense, rockets and space age technology. The School was founded by a group of 20 concerned citizens who organized a founding society to start a private school. Randolph began its mission with a handful of elementary classes in an antebellum home on the street from which it takes its name. Dr. Wernher von Braun was among the numerous scientists and engineers who sent their children to Randolph. Within a few years, the School relocated to a spacious 16-acre campus on Drake Avenue. The School’s rigorous college preparatory curriculum and successful alumni rapidly became the pride of the Huntsville business community.
Since those early days, the School has maintained high academic standards in all curricula. In 1998, the School attracted national attention for successfully integrating laptop computers and a wireless network. Randolph students consistently perform at a high level and excel in academics, the arts and athletics.
Randolph celebrated its 50th anniversary as well as the opening of its Garth Road Campus in 2009. The anniversary marked the beginning of new phase in the history of the School. During the 2010-11 school year, a steering committee of teachers, administrators, trustees and students led the School through a yearlong Strategic Planning process, charting a path for continued growth and development.